Penn Yan Header
penn yan village
Penn Yan Village Office
111 Elm St, PO Box 426
Penn Yan, NY 14527

(315) 536-3015
Penn Yan Gold
 
 
Penn Yan DkBlue


 
Penn Yan History

Penn Yan, founded by Mr. Abraham Waggener (sic), incorporated 29th April, 1833; the shire town about half a mile below the foot of the east arm of Crooked Lake upon a pleasant plain, and on the outlet, partly in the town of Benton, contains a new court house of brick, a prison of stone, a fire-proof office for the county clerk, 1 Presbyterian, 1 Methodist, 1 Baptist and 1 Episcopal church,; an academy, incorporated and highly flourishing; 18 general stores, 2 book stores, 2 printing offices, each issuing a weekly paper; 5 taverns, a bank, incorporated April 2nd, 1831, with a capital of $100,000; 2 grist and 2 saw mills, and 450 dwellings. This is a thriving village, growing rapidly,and has many good buildings. It is finely exhibited to the passenger descending the hill on the road from Geneva. Its singular name was derived from the circumstance that its inhabitants were Pennsylvanians and Yankees, in equal numbers.
Gordon's Gazetteer in 1836






Penn Yan Footer
Copyright © 2010 by Village of Penn Yan - All rights reserved.
DSD Web Works

Web Hosting with Finger Lakes Web Hosting